Above, a past photo shows horses pulling a hook-and-ladder truck in front of the firehouse, built in 1889. The hook-and-ladder truck was purchased in 1885 and turned into a motorized version in 1926. The building in the picture was the second firehouse in Manistique and was located on River Street (now the car-wash location next to Family Dollar). Every day, practice occurred at noon and 6 p.m. The doors would open and horses and equipment came flying out. The horses were also used by the city of Manistique for street work.