Senior Center News
The Senior Center will once again be offering assistance in preparation of homestead property tax, rental and heating credit forms for those age 60 or older who no longer have to file state or federal forms.
Please make sure you have all your information together before dropping it off, as we have had times where we have had to re-file because they received more info in the mail after preparation. We encourage you to put all your information in an envelope so nothing gets misplaced. Information needed to complete the forms includes:
• Social security number(s)
• 2012 return, if available
• All 2013 income – including social security, SSI, pensions, dividends and bank interest.
• Taxes paid on your home or rent paid. (If rent, list name and address of landlord.)
• Medical insurance premiums, other than Medicare. (Cannot include life insurance)
• Heating costs from Nov. 1, 2012 through Oct. 31, 2013.
• Copy of 1099 or social security check and if you received financial assistance, a statement from Schoolcraft County Dept. of Human Services (Form SA1099) is needed.
• Telephone number of where we can reach you with questions or to let you know when your forms are completed.
• Please call 341-5923 for further information.
We have set the following dates/ places to assist with the above forms:
Thursday, Feb. 13, – Heritage House
Thursday, Feb. 13, – Germfask Town Hall Germfask Senior Housing
Friday, Feb. 14, – Harbor View Towers
If you wish to make an appointment, we ask you sign your name to an appointment time on the poster located in the lobby. We also ask you please be prompt.
If you are under the age of 60, please call Don Tyrell from CAA at 341-2452 to make an appointment.
For those who still have to file state or federal forms, I want to pass along the AARP Foundation will be offering “free” tax preparation at the Manistique High School Library. If you are interested in making an appointment, call (888) 227-7669.
Have you signed up for the Annual Hotdog Roast on Thursday, Feb. 20? Entertainment begins at 4 p.m. We ask for a $5 donation to be paid prior to the activity, which allows us time to purchase the goodies. I am excited to let you know Guerda Frenette has promised homemade hot fudge ice cream cake for dessert. That alone is worth the $5. Drop by the Center to be added to the list of attendees.
Have you picked up your picture with Santa from the Christmas party? Please drop by the office and do so if you haven’t already. They turned out very nice!
We are looking for volunteers to serve on two boards at the Center. The Manistique Senior Center Board meets the second Tuesday of the month at 10 a.m. This board oversees all the activities and assists with minor repairs on the building.
Secondly, the Schoolcraft County Commission on Aging Board meets the third Tuesday of every month at 9:30 a.m., overseeing all the services provided with monies received from UPCAP, Inc., along with millage funds.
We would love to see representation from the outlying townships. For further information give the Center a call at 341-5923 or feel free to call me at home at 283- 3224.
Monetary donations have been received at the Senior Center in memory of:
• Nancy Cheney from Louis and Rita Salter, Joanne Milavec, Jim and Cathy Creighton, David and Jackie Severin, Guerda Frenette, Jean Anthony, Tom and Berith Boudreau, Mayvis Captain, Richard Graphos, Lynn Miller, Fred and Sally Minor, Helen Perry, Barb Pesola, and Ted and Sally Nemetz
• Addie Boyd from Cheryl Robere
• Maurice “Moe” Chandler from Joyce DeMers,
• Donna Wolf from Rita Chartier
• Robert Weber from Bob and Ruth Johnson and Perry and Cathy Wise
Maintenance and Support donations were received from Clara Bosanic, Bill Cheney, Joyce DeMers, Steve Lawrence, John and Joanne Kleis, and Judith Keefer.
PINOCHLE Jan. 22: 1st- Charlene Turek, 2nd-Don’a Nelson, 3rd-Carl Sundling, Should’a Stayed Home-Bill Keener.
Birthdays this week: Feb. 2-Charlene Husar, Feb. 3-Eunice Olsen, Feb. 4-Loretta Norbotten, Feb. 6-Bob Monahan. Happy birthday wishes of all!