MDCH: Tips to stay safe in the heat this summer
LANSING – The Michigan Department of Community Health urges residents to protect themselves against extreme heat with a few simple health precautions.
Tips to Avoid Heat Illness:
• Use air conditioning or spend time in air-conditioned locations, when possible. Public authorities may set up cooling centers in your area to provide air-conditioned locations. Call 211 or check with local authorities for more information, including city and county websites.
• Take a cool bath, shower, or swim.
• Minimize direct exposure to the sun.
• Limit time outdoors as much as possible, but take frequent breaks if you must be outside.
• Stay hydrated – drink water or nonalcoholic fluids; try to avoid fluids with caffeine, because they can dehydrate you.
• Never leave children, the elderly, or pets unattended in a vehicle.