Erickson Center opens photography contest
CURTIS – The Erickson Center for the Arts’ annual photography contest is now underway.
Four cash prizes will be awarded to the best photographers in two categories – Critic’s Choice and People’s Choice. A panel of judges will select first ($100 prize), second ($75 prize), and third place ($50 cash) winners to receive the Critic’s Choice awards.
Attendees at Art on the Lake, on Aug. 31, will vote for the winner of the People’s Choice award ($75 prize).
1. The photo must be a current Upper Peninsula of Michigan photo taken within the last 12 months.
2. Photos previously submitted to past Erickson Center for the Arts photography contests are not permitted.
3. Photos should be 8x10 inches in size, and must not be matted or framed.
The photo paper, including the border, must not exceed 8.5x11 inches.
4. Borders around the photos must be white.
5. Send $5 entry fee along with a separate sheet of paper with name, address, email and telephone number clearly printed to: Erickson Center for the Arts, Attn: Photo Contest, P.O. Box 255, Curtis, MI 49820ntries may also be hand delivered to the Erickson Center for the Arts Administrative Office located at N9246 Saw-Wa- Quato Street in Curtis during office hours. Checks should be made payable to: Erickson Center for the Arts.
6. Photos may be “cropped” but should be submitted “as taken” without computer changes or modifications.
7. There is no age limit for this contest.
8. Entries must be received by Aug. 16.
9. Multiple entries are permitted. Each entry must include the $5 entry fee and a separate sheet of paper with name, address, and phone number clearly printed.
10. No identifying information (name, etc.) may be on photos.
11. All photos will become the property of the Erickson Center for the Arts and will be displayed after contest completion.
12. Winners will be announced at the Art on the Lake festival on Aug. 31. Entrants need not be present to win.
13. Professional photographers are not eligible to enter.
14. Judging will be based on:
• Relevance to the category and following contest rules including size
• Exposure vs. underexposed
• Color effectiveness (black and white, contrast and shadows)
• Unique and unusual
• Sharpness vs. intentional out of focus or soft edges
• “Wow” factor.
Questions can be directed to the Erickson Center for the Arts’ office at (906) 586-9974.