2013-02-14 / Front Page

Fire spares area home

No injuries reported in electric fire

MANISTIQUE – An evening fire last week caused minimal damage to the structure and no injuries were reported, according to local law enforcement. The cause of the fire is believed to have been a faulty electrical junction box.

In a press release issued by Manistique Public Safety, at 7:43 p.m. on Feb. 6, officers and volunteer firefighters responded to a report of a house fire at 102 S. Fifth Street.

While firefighters were able to bring the fire under control within 15 minutes of arriving, crews remained at the scene for an hour. The structure received minor fire and water damage, which was confined mostly to the attic, where the electrical junction box was located.

Firefighters were assisted by Sault Tribe Police, as well as the Schoolcraft County Chapter of the American Red Cross.

Return to top

Poll

Should the Manistique Area Schools Board of Education pursue a shared superintendent with Big Bay de Noc School?