2012-11-08 / Community

Fire takes home, claims one pet

Weekend blaze caused by space heater

MANISTIQUE – A space heater is believed to be the cause of a fire Sunday that destroyed a Manistique home. According to a press release from Manistique Public Safety, the occupants and two pets were able to escape safely, however, one family dog died in the blaze.

The fire was reported at approximately 5:10 a.m. at 195 North Maple Street, and both Manistique Public Safety and Volunteer Fire Department responded to the scene. Upon arriving to the location, officers found the first floor of the two-story home fully engulfed in flames.

According to the release, the home’s occupants, Christian and Stacy Young, along with their three children and two dogs had escaped the home safely. The cause of the blaze is believed to be a space heater that was knocked over, igniting nearby clothing and bedding. Though the family attempted to extinguish the blaze, officers noted the fire spread too quickly, and they were forced to exit the home and call for help.

Firefighters were able to extinguish the majority of the fire upon arriving on the scene, but fought hot spots in the ceiling and floor for several hours. The home and its contents are considered a total loss and the scene was cleared at 8 a.m.

Return to top