Letters to the Editor
A lot is being said, in the media, about Mitt Romney not being “likable” or that he doesn’t “relate well” to people. I had a hard time understanding why. After much research, I came up with this list to explain the problem.
1. He is handsome with a gracious, statesmanlike, aura. He looks like every central castings number 1 choice for commanderin chief.
2. Been married to one woman his entire adult life, and has been faithful to her, including through her bouts with breast cancer and MS. No skeletons in his closet.
3. Highly intelligent. Graduated cum laude from both Harvard Law School and Harvard Business School. His academic records are not sealed.
4. Doesn’t smoke or drink alcohol, has never “done drugs” maybe too square for today’s America?
5. He became a success. He represents an America where people believe in God, go to church, work hard, and are faithful to their own husband or wife.
6. He has a family of five great sons and none of them have police records or are in drug rehab.
7. Oh yes, he’s a Mormon. A church that does teach it’s members to be clean living, patriotic, fiscally conservative, charitable, self-reliant, and honest. We are not looking for a new minister for our church. We will be voting for a new President of the United States of America.
8. It is said that, because of his wealth he can’t relate to ordinary Americans. I guess that’s because he made that money himself. As opposed to marrying it, or inheriting it from dad. Apparently, he didn’t understand that actually working at a job and earning your own money made it so you can’t relate to other Americans. (It is said that President Obama is rich too – so much for that argument).
His full name is Willard Mitt Romney. He was born March 12, 1947, and is 65 years old. His father is George W. Romney, former governor of the state of Michigan. He was raised in Bloomfield Hills, Mich., and is married to Ann Romney since 1969 and they have five sons. He has a B.A. from Brigham Young University, J.D. and M.B.A. from Harvard University.
In 1984, he co-founded Bain Capital. He was president and CEO of the 2002 Olympics and in 2002 he was elected governor of the state of Massachusetts where he eliminated a 1.5 billion dollar deficit.
He was an unpaid president of the Salt Lake Olympic committee for three years. He took no salary and was the unpaid governor of Massachusetts for four years. He gave his entire inheritance from his father to charity. In 2011 Mitt Romney gave over $4 million to charity, almost 19 percent of his income. (For comparison Obama gave 1 percent and Joe Biden gave $300 or .0013 percent).
Mitt Romney will show us his birth certificate, his college transcripts, his income tax records. He will show us he has nothing to hide. Sounds like the kind of man I would like for President. He gets my vote.
David B. Babbit
This election is the most important in our lifetime. Can we continue to hold our Constitution and its values high? Can we rein in a President who is trying to turn our country into a third world nation? Can we stave off the Muslimization of America? Can we decrease our healthcare costs without decimating our current medical progress? Obamacare threatens our health, hospitals, researchers, drug companies and medical equipment makers. If Obama is elected, the government will be in total control of our health. In the Obama healthcare bill there are huge taxes and mention of homes/places for those deemed unqualified to receive life-saving care and are to be treated with narcotics only. It will have a “panel” of nonmedical bureaucrats deciding who receives life-saving care and who receives narcotics only. The writers of Obamacare deny that the “panel” will decide who lives or dies. They say the “panel” decides how health care dollars are spent. If the “panel” decides not to pay for treatment, medication or surgery and you can’t afford to go to another country; you won’t receive the lifesaving care. Those same Obama bureaucrats say you can keep your doctor and that premiums for healthcare won’t go up. That has already proved wrong. Currently Medicare payments are reduced (with plans for further reductions) and doctors/ hospitals cannot afford to stay in business. No doubt, healthcare costs should be reduced but, large costs are due to litigation. Healthcare providers must protect themselves by thoroughly obtaining tests and treatments that protect themselves legally but increase healthcare costs. Our Senators Stabenow and Levin receive huge contributions from trial lawyer PAC’s. How likely is it that those two will curtail a litigator’s advantages? Similarities between Communism and Obamacare are startling. Pres. Obama had a communist mentor in his youth and currently has self-professed Communists, Socialists and Muslims in his administration. Pres. Obama is going to hurt our nation more, if elected.
I have been an inmate of Schoolcraft County Jail since April 26, 2012. Received a memo on Oct. 5, which reads Oct. 1, 2012, “Beginning, today anyone requesting to see the doctor, nurse or is taking medication will be charged the following per a resolution passed by the county board of commissioners: $10 a visit with the nurse, $20 a visit with the doctor, and $10 a month prescription medication administration charge to the inmates requiring prescription medications.”
No one got notice of this ‘til four days after memo, which should have been prior notice and, also believe illegal. My concern is inmates have to abide by rules set forth by jail staff, why is it they don’t abide by rules set for them? I have written several grievances which are legitimate and was told by C/O (correction officer) to write all I want ’cause they will not go anywhere, as I have found out. C/Os have given medication to inmates that doesn’t belong to them. I also have been given wrong medication for things with in past couple of days.
There is an inmate here at this time serving a year for giving other inmate his meds. So why is it any different for a C/O to give wrong or more of meds out that is prescribed by doctor? There is no difference and should carry same punishment. I would encourage you as citizens of Schoolcraft County to be aware there is more going on behind closed doors here at the Schoolcraft County Jail then they lead to tell ya’s. I’m sure all ya’s out there have families and hope it never happens, but could end up someday here themselves. All I ask is that ya listen to both sides ’cause everyone in here is not wrong.
We as each inmate pays $30 per day to be housed here and can’t lay in our bunks without getting wet from roof leaking when it rains. Several things wrong, but no inmate will ever be allowed to speak with any inspectors who come through.