2012-07-12 / Community

Smoke causes scare at MCF

MANISTIQUE – Residents and staff were recently evacuated from the Schoolcraft County Medical Care Facility, due to a report of smoke in the building, according to law enforcement officials. The incident, occurring on July 5, ended with no injuries to staff or residents.

Officers from Manistique Public Safety, along with members of the Manistique Volunteer Fire Department, responded to a report to fire alarms and smoke in the building at approximately 3:30 a.m., according to Manistique Public Safety Director Ken Golat.

Upon arriving at the scene, officers found electrical smoke and fire alarms going off in the northeast quadrant of the facility. Medicare staff was in the process of evacuating residents from that area to designated safe areas within the facility.

After a brief investigation, officers found that a compressor motor in an air conditioning unit on the roof of the building had overheated, causing it to smoke. The unit was cooled down, and the smoke issue was alleviated, said Golat.

Return to top