2012-06-28 / Community

New fireworks laws in effect this year

LANSING – With the summer season well underway, Michigan consumers can now, for the first time, legally buy more powerful fireworks such as firecrackers and some consumer-grade devices such as bottle rockets, sky lanterns, and Roman candles. The Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs’ Bureau of Fire Services urges consumers to buy only from state-certified retailers, practice strict safety measures and use extreme caution when using any type of fireworks.

“Safety must be the top priority and responsibility for both consumers and certified fireworks retailers,” said State Fire Marshal Richard Miller. “Celebrations and summer fun can quickly turn into tragedy when there is carelessness in using fireworks.”

The sale and use of consumer fireworks became legal Jan. 1, 2012 when Gov. Snyder signed into law Public Act 256 of 2011, known as the Michigan Fireworks Safety Act. Low impact fireworks – groundbased items such as sparklers, toy snakes, snaps and poppers will remain legal for sale and use.

The newly legalized consumer fireworks meet Consumer Product Safety standards and will only be sold to individuals 18 years of age or older. Certified retailers must verify the buyer’s age by checking identification such as a driver’s license, military identification card, enhanced driver’s license or passport. The Michigan Fireworks Safety Act prohibits the use of these fireworks by anyone under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

Consumer-grade fireworks may not be used on public, school, or private property of another person unless express permission is obtained to use the fireworks on that property. When fire-related incidents involve consumer, low impact, or illegal fireworks resulting in property damage, injury or death of another person, individuals are subject to being convicted of a misdemeanor or felony punishable by imprisonment of not more than five years and fines of up to $10,000 or both, depending upon the severity of the crime.

“Sanctions are also in place for retailers who violate the law,” said Miller. “We must ensure fireworks retailers operate their businesses safely to protect the public. Buy fireworks only from a seller who is certified by the State of Michigan, Bureau of Fire Services. An authorized retailer, by law, must have a Consumer Fireworks Certificate prominently displayed in their facility.

If a retailer is selling consumer fireworks without a Consumer Fireworks Certificate, they are doing so illegally.”

Miller encourages people to enjoy professional fireworks displays by attending events run by their municipalities. If consumer fireworks are used at home, the best way to protect lives and property is to follow these important safety tips:

• Always purchase fireworks from an authorized retailer.

• Follow the manufacturer’s directions for the proper use of the device.

• Avoid buying fireworks that are packaged in brown paper. These are made for professional use.

• Always have an adult supervise fireworks activities, including sparklers.

• Light fireworks one at a time, then immediately back away to a safe distance.

• Keep a bucket of water or a garden hose handy in case of fire or other mishap.

• After fireworks stop burning, douse the spent device with plenty of water from a bucket or hose before discarding it to prevent a fire.

Never:

• Allow young children to play with or ignite fireworks.

• Place any part of your body directly over a fireworks device when lighting the fuse.

• Try to re-light or pick up fireworks that have not ignited fully.

• Point or throw fireworks at other people.

• Carry fireworks in a pocket or shoot them off in metal or glass containers.

• Purchase or use unlabeled fireworks, experiment with or make your own fireworks.

• Re-light “dud” fireworks that have not fully functioned; (instead, wait 15 to 20 minutes and then soak it in a bucket of water).

Miller also warns to never underestimate the dangers of sparklers as many children are badly burned by sparklers each year. Sparklers present a serious danger because of the high temperature of the wire (as high as 2,000 degrees Fahrenheit) during and after use which is hot enough to cause third degree burns. Sparklers can quickly ignite clothing and stay hot long after they’ve burned out.

They should be promptly disposed of in a bucket of water.

Return to top

Poll

Should the Manistique Area Schools Board of Education pursue a shared superintendent with Big Bay de Noc School?