2012-05-31 / Outdoors

News Briefs

21st Kids Fishing Day planned for June 9

MANISTIQUE – The Hiawatha National Forest is proud to announce the 21st Annual Kids Fishing Day will be held at Camp 7 Lake Campground on June 9.

It will run in conjunction with Michigan’s Free Fishing Weekend, a time when all fishing license fees are waived for residents and out-of-state visitors alike. The weekend is used to introduce children to the outdoors and, specifically, to the sport of fishing. Kids Fishing Day activities include: two fishing ponds for ages 12 and under, casting contests, free food, abundant raffle prizes and a visit from Smokey Bear. The entire event is free and open to children ages 16 years and under.

Kids Fishing Day is made possible thanks to the Bay de Noc Great Lake Sport Fisherman, the Michigan Department of Natural Resources, Wildlife Unlimited of Delta County, the Hiawatha National Forest and participation from many volunteers, local merchants and service organizations. Registration for Kids Fishing Day begins at 11 a.m. and the event runs until approximately 3:30 p.m. Camp 7 is located on Delta County Road 442, approximately 22 miles from Manistique or 31 miles from Rapid River.

Those wishing to camp for the weekend, approximately 60 percent of the campsites at Camp 7 Lake can be reserved in advance by calling the National Recreation Reservation Service at (877) 444-6777, or by going online to recreation.gov (specify Camp Seven). The remaining 40 percent of campsites are available on a first come, first served basis. Electrical hook-ups were added to 12 campsites last fall; of these, seven electric sites can be reserved.

Additional information, contact Brenda Madden at the Forest Service office in Manistique at (906) 341-5666, ext. 17 or Anne Okonek at the Rapid River office at (906) 474-6442.

Return to top

Poll

Do you agree with the Schoolcraft County Board of Commissioner's decision not to support the DNR land acquisition in Hiawatha Township?