2012-04-12 / News

Ashes spark grass fire in extremely dry conditions

Manistique Public Safety Officers and Manistique volunteer fire fighters were called to the scene of a grass fire at 1:57 p.m. on Saturday, April 7, at the Michael Jenerou residence on Shunk Road in Manistique Township.

The fire started after the property owner had dumped some ashes from his wood boiler. The fire quickly spread into a wooded area, burning approximately one and one half acres. Firefighters brought the fire under control and remained on the scene for an hour and a half putting out hot spots. Firefighters were assisted by Sault Tribal Police and Michigan Department of Natural Resources Conservation Officers. No injuries were reported.

Jenerou was cited by the Michigan DNR for open burning and failure to take precautions to stop a fire from escaping in a forest area.

Residents are reminded that the fire danger remains high and that burning permits are not being issued at this time.

Return to top